Friday, October 10, 2014

This is For the Fighters

Hello there,
  Let me introduce myself, I am Kate, this page's official blogger! As with any blog, its hard to summarize the path that has lead the blogger to come to write about the topic. For this topic, sometimes words can't express it. Emotions won't always do it justice either, though speechless makes me think of a lack of both emotions and words, and sometimes this topic does fall into that category.
  Terminal diseases. No one wants to hear, think or even remember theirs. But we have to. We NEED to. We can't forget that they exist or we forget to help others fight, or to even fight ourselves.
  My story is that I had cancer, at a really young age. But surprisingly this blog isn't about my cancer, it wasn't even inspired by what I went through. This blog is about the last words my best friend Anise said to me, that really impacted me, "Life is too short to match socks". What do those words mean to you? Do they mean enough to you?
  About two years ago now, I turned to my good friend Annie and as usual upon seeing her socks exclaimed, "Oh! Your socks don't match!" Well everyone said this to Annie, and I'm sure she had a while to think about this response, but I only heard it once, "Life is too short to match socks".
   Her words caught me off guard and resounded in my soul. So of course, after her passing, my socks never match now! And why the heck should they?
  This saying to me means that we need to live and cut out the unnecessary parts of our life. Those parts that aren't worth our time, and sometimes its more fun not doing them! I mean dinosaur socks on one foot and kitty cat socks on the other!?! Who wouldn't have a great day?!?
  On a day in May 2013 Annie passed away. She passed away ultimately from the after affects of cancer and of her Lyme's disease. Her beautiful spirit lives on though. You may be surprised to know that the majority of people had no idea that she was in pain. Lots of pain. She was so strong, and didn't always have an easy time of life. Those who knew her in actuality couldn't help but love her though. Everyone makes everyone whom passed away look like a perfect person, and rightfully so, respect for those not with us is a social etiquette that no one should forget. However; I mean it when I say that Annie was a very incredibly caring woman. I was very alone and Anise helped me into the community for childhood cancer survivors. As long as you were trying to be your best, Annie wanted to help you. Sometimes people aren't their best, Annie knew this and would always forgive you once an apology was made. She had her humanly faults (none that I can think of right now) but the important thing to see is that her tiniest saying meant so much.
   I'm starting this page not only in memory of Annie (its about time actually) but to also educate, give support, and remind people that "Life is too short to match socks".
Remember to love and accept,
~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment