Monday, October 20, 2014

Support

   Well hello there again! Seems another week has passed us by, hope you guys didn't match your socks and lived life to its fullest potential (though I hope you guys still slept).
   One of the reasons I listed last week about creating this blog was to give support to the community of cancer fighters/survivors, and others with life-threatening diseases. Of course there are several kinds of support, for simplification's sake, I have decidedly grouped them into the most common three areas of health; mental, physical, and social.  This particular post will only cover one of these, because lets face it, its going to be hard to even cover only one support area in a single post! Today is...drum roll please...Social!
   To start off with, this topic is very near and dear to my heart. Annie was the icon of social support, she never let anyone get pushed to the side and she was always there for you. She knew everybody's name, and would never forget where and when she met you. Considering she had short term memory loss, this was absolutely incredible! She couldn't remember what you might have gotten into an argument with her about the prior day (part of the reason she was so marvelous at forgiveness) but she would always remember you. Another reason its very near and dear to my heart is that I myself didn't feel in any shape or form socially supported until I was 12. For 10 years I didn't know anyone whom had survived cancer that was relatively even close to my age. It was very difficult, I felt weird, as if nobody could understand. At one point I considered it to be true that no one would ever marry me because of the late effects of my cancer. Then I was introduced to Sky High Hope Camp (Colorado). I met a ton of kids and siblings who had been through the exact same experience as mine! It was an incredibly radical change for me! The whole experience made me feel supported again!
   Connecting with others who have been through even just a similar experience can give your life a whole new group of friends, plus as human beings we just want to be understood. Why are you scared of needles so much? Why do you dislike hospitals so much? Why do you look that way? Why do you have to take shots everyday? Meeting the right people means that you have friends and/or people to look up to that may not even need to ask these questions. Unfortunately, it can be very scary to meet these people, or you may just be thinking, "Oh I don't want to be like them" or "I don't want to associate with them". I'm here to say that you just really need to take the plunge. Guaranteed, you won't feel worse than when you didn't have people who understood, and coming to terms with the fact that you have cancer or a life-threatening disease could be very mentally healthy for you.
   Basically, don't go it alone. Even a therapist can help, and some of them are covered by insurance especially when someone is going through a life-threatening disease or cancer.
   Currently, I'm thinking of starting a page particularly dedicated to summer camps, events, and volunteer opportunities for all ages and eventually all states! Up until 3 years ago, there wasn't an easy way to sign up your child or volunteer for all the summer camps for kids with cancer or life-threatening diseases in the state of Colorado. Along with that, there aren't just summer camps. There are parties! And proms! oh my! Don't forget ski trips, and vacation opportunities. Heck I might even consider putting Make-A-Wish on there, even if it isn't technically "social". Recently, I found out there are also "studies" (for lack of a better word) that will connect you with people who have also been through the same cancer or life-threatening disease. Wouldn't it be nice to know someone who may have been through exactly the same things as you?
   Another way to get in contact that I am thinking of enacting is something much more simple, e-mailing me! Or in the future some of my friends! Talking to anyone about what you are going through can really help, even if you are a parent, sibling, guardian, nurse, doctor, or any other family or friend! Though, as a prior patient, patients need the most attention. Sorry family members and friends, its just the truth.
   So for right now I'm going to list all the events in Colorado for children with cancer or life-threatening diseases. Some of them may say that they are cancer specific, but for all of them they are very understanding organizations, and thus you should feel free to contact them and ask about attending no matter what is happening in your life.

Summer Camps:
Sky High Hope Camp
http://skyhighhope.org/

Wapi-Yapi
http://wapiyapi.org/

Nighthawk Ranch
http://nighthawkranchcolorado.org/

Events:
Miracle Party
http://www.miraclepartyfoundation.org/#!

Trips and Adventures!
Shining Stars
http://www.shiningstarsfoundation.org/

Those are all the ones I could think of and find as of right now.

Now if you would, please put down those laundered socks and make some friends!
Love and accept always,
~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment